Entry to Law and Medical School: What will you take from the course?
To get into Medical School or Law School, not only do you have to possess high academic results you must also demonstrate an aptitude to work within the profession. As such our preparation courses allow students to develop these aptitudes whilst exploring their own limitations.
This is not a cramming school, rather it is an outdoor residential that enables participants to build up a bank of experiences that they can deploy to complete application forms and stand out from the crowd during interviews.
In particular you will:
- Develop a bank of skills and experiences to help demonstrate your aptitude for law or medicine. In Medical School you are asked at every stage of application to demonstrate what personal qualities you have that will make you a good doctor. A Treejumpers Holiday Camp is a great foundation for this.
- Complete a Sports Leaders UK award in Community Sports Leadership to further demonstrate leadership and communication skills. Level 1 requires 30 hours guided learning and 10 hours voluntary community work and Level 2 requires 35 guided learning hours and 10 hours volunteering. We can facilitate the volunteering commitment within our other holiday camps.
- Learn to critique and teach others, a core skill for medical and legal practice.
- Learn how to build trusting relationships quickly. People who don't previously know each other being able to generate trust genuinely and rapidly whilst in high-pressure situations.
- Learn how to lead teams and be able to be led by others.
Above all the camps will be fun, with a chance to meet new people and share new experiences.
Includes seminars with Partners from magic circle law firms and doctors from London Teaching Hospitals
Participants will also receive a self-reflection journal to ensure the learning is remembered and can be translated into application form and interview answers.
During each of the activities our instructors will facilitate
reflection and feedback sessions ensuring each participant can see
how the skills and experiences they are developing are directly
transferable onto application forms and into interview
Download an example programme
David Billington is a partner in Cleary Gottlieb's London office. Cleary Gottlieb is a distinguished international law firm, with more than 1100 lawyers practising in the world's major financial and regulatory centres: New York, Washington, DC, Paris, Brussels, London, Frankfurt, Cologne, Rome ,Milan, Moscow, Hong Kong and Beijing. His practice focuses on international financing and restructuring transactions. He has experience in bank lending, high yield bonds, restructurings, structured and real estate finance, and securitization. His private equity experience includes transactions for sponsors such as TPG Capital, Hellman & Friedman, and First Reserve, and for lenders such as Citi and Goldman Sachs. He has worked on a number of high profile restructuring transactions, including advising on Truvo Group's plan of reorganization, enabling the cross-border restructuring of ?1.5 billion of debt. He was also involved in advising the Vita Group and its controlling shareholder TPG Capital in a financial restructuring effected by way of a UK scheme of arrangement, as a result of which debt in excess of ?600 million was written down to approximately ?100 million. Energy and natural resources sector matters include advising Consolidated Minerals Limited in its $417.7 million secured debt financing for the Tonkolili Iron Ore Project in Sierra Leone. David is a Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and WalesBottom of Form.
More high-profile speakers to be confirmed by mid-January. Phone for details.
Course dates and cost:
Dates: 10th - 13th April 2012.
Cost: £300 per person. This includes all activities, Sports Leader Certification, all food and tented accommodation.
Maximum numbers: In order to ensure learning outcomes are secured and the courses have maximum impact we have limited the number of participants to 40. This enables us to run 4 groups of 10 participants.
More information: Either go
to www.treejumpers.com or phone 01622 870822